Information on Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is deadly in large quantities. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane and natural gas. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to the flu including:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness

The one distinguishing symptom missing that the flu caused, but not carbon monoxide poisoning is a fever. If you experience any of these symptoms you should get fresh air immediately. Open all windows and doors to ventilate your home and move outside so you can get as much fresh air as possible. Once outside, call the local fire department to report your symptoms and see a doctor immediately, informing them of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, for an accurate diagnosis.

Preventing and Detecting Carbon Monoxide

Inspecting your appliances is crucial in removing the carbon monoxide forever and a professional should check all appliances that could cause a carbon monoxide leak. Make sure not to use any of the appliances until they have been properly checked.

Detecting carbon monoxide is easy with the help of a carbon monoxide detector.

For more information on carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the EPA.